Desmond Elliot: I Thought Tinubu Backed Obasa’s Removal

0
59
Desmond Elliot: I Thought Tinubu Backed Obasa’s Removal
Desmond Elliot: I Thought Tinubu Backed Obasa’s Removal

LAGOS, Nigeria (FN) — Lawmaker and actor-turned-politician Desmond Elliot says he thought President Bola Tinubu had approved the impeachment of Lagos State House of Assembly Speaker Mudashiru Obasa during the tense leadership crisis earlier this year.

Elliot, who represents Surulere Constituency I, told Channels Television on Tuesday that he signed the impeachment notice in January while he was outside the country, believing the move had presidential backing.

“I was in South Africa when the news broke. It came as a shock,” Elliot said. “We thought it was from the presidency, and I signed along with others who had already appended their names.”

His comments followed allegations by Chief of Staff to the President, Femi Gbajabiamila, who claimed intelligence reports had linked Elliot to the impeachment attempt and nearly cost him his position. Elliot said he was surprised by the remark, pointing to his long-standing political relationship with Gbajabiamila.

Obasa was removed on January 13, 2025, while reportedly on vacation in the United States. Lawmakers accused him of misconduct, abuse of office, poor leadership, and mismanagement of Assembly funds, charges he denied. Deputy Speaker Mojisola Meranda was elected Speaker in his place.

The impeachment sparked weeks of political tension, court battles, and interventions by leaders of the All Progressives Congress. Tinubu later clarified that the move was not authorized by him and directed lawmakers to reinstate Obasa. Meranda stepped down and returned to her role as deputy speaker.

“Eventually, Mr President called us and made us understand it wasn’t from him. He asked us to return the speaker, and we did,” Elliot said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here