Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke escaped unharmed after suspected hoodlums opened fire around his convoy in Osogbo on Wednesday, August 19, triggering a gun battle with security personnel and sending residents fleeing for safety.
The incident occurred shortly after Adeleke visited the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji. The governor had gone to the palace after receiving his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission following his victory in the Aug. 15 governorship election.
Initial reports said the shooting lasted between 12 and 15 minutes as security operatives attached to the governor exchanged fire with the suspected attackers. Adeleke was eventually moved away from the area without injury.
The situation, however, took a deadly turn. Police later confirmed that a 60 year old man, identified as Tajudeen Yusuf, was shot in the Itaolokan area of Osogbo. He was taken to the University Teaching Hospital in Osogbo but was pronounced dead by doctors.

According to the Osun State Police Command, preliminary investigations indicate that the confrontation may have been linked to an attempt to gain access to Nigerian music star David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, who accompanied the governor during the palace visit.
Police spokesperson Abiodun Ojelabi said a suspected gang member identified as Adebayo Taoreed, also known as “Small Rugged,” allegedly attempted to approach Davido but was stopped by members of the singer’s security team. The confrontation reportedly attracted other suspected gang members and temporarily obstructed the governor’s convoy.
The police said the suspected attackers later left the area and allegedly shot Yusuf while fleeing. Officers who arrived at the scene found him seriously injured and immediately took him to the hospital, where he later died.

The incident has prompted a full-scale investigation by the Osun State Police Command. Commissioner of Police (Election), Samuel Etaifo, condemned the killing and said security agencies were working to identify and arrest those responsible. The command also appealed to residents with useful information to assist investigators.
The shooting comes at a politically sensitive moment in Osun, following Adeleke’s re-election. Earlier on Wednesday, the governor announced plans for a 500 million naira endowment fund for victims of election related violence and said no political ambition was worth the life of any citizen.
Authorities have urged residents to remain calm and avoid taking the law into their own hands as investigations continue. The police said further updates would be released as more facts emerge.


























